Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Dangers of Sugar Free Gum (not a joke)

Hi everybody,

I meant to post this earlier and didn't, but I wanted to share some very important information to you pet lovers. I was completely unaware of the hazard of sugar free gum to pets, specifically dogs. Any sugar free gum containing Xylitol needs to be banned from your home. It is extremely toxic to dogs and can kill them within hours. Below is an email I received from a friend.
Carly, our two-year old dachshund, got into some of Luke’s gum containing Xylitol on Saturday morning. Xylitol is an artificial sweetener that few even know is deadly to dogs. We realized it within just over an hour and rushed her to Dr. Schaller. After her tummy was empty, she was given charcoal and has been on fluids and medications since that time.

Tonight Dr. Schaller told us that her liver values are 4 times higher than normal and is in liver failure. The next 48 hours are critical. If the liver is too damaged, it will not be able to heal. We love her dearly and can’t imagine not having her in our home. Please say a little prayer for her so that she might be able to return home and be the sweet, happy, loving dog we know her to be. Thank you for your prayers.
Please be mindful about what your pets have access to.