Saturday, December 11, 2010

What I've Been Working On

Finally, I've completed the gift I've been working on for my mom. What a labor of love this turned out to be. I'm very proud of the way it turned out though.

This is the pattern I purchased when my sister and I went to the National Quilt Show in Williamsburg this past spring.

Here is the completed jacket.


The entire jacket calls for lining, but it made the sleeves so bulky that the jacket was very uncomfortable. I had to make new sleeves for mom's jacket and left the lining out. It shows in the pictures, which I'm not happy about but darned if I'm touching this project again except to mail it!

I used my pretty copper metallic thread to quilt some swirls on the back and front, but other than that just used tan thread for straight line quilting on it like the pattern had.


I couldn't find any nice closures that suited me, so opted to use one giant button. I found the perfect one yesterday at JoAnn's. Then I couldn't decide on the placement and was driving myself crazy over it so called my DS and asked her advice. She suggested putting the button near the breast bone and cover the loop I made with an inchie. I loved that idea but ended up making the closure loop wider and since it had more presence, just left it alone.


(pardon the shadow from me taking the picture)

I bought a more contemporary pattern for myself, plus a gorgeous batick fabric kit. I'll be doing things differently on mine from what the pattern calls for.

Now that this gift is completed, I'm frantically working on things for the rest of my family!

I hope you have a great day. I'm off to work on my other projects, take care of the chickens, haul trash to the dump, buy food.......on and on!

TTFN!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Phyllis,

Your Mother's jacket is beautiful - she will love it. You are a multi talented artist. Glad to hear you are painting some little paintings - they are fast to paint and everyone loves them - I usually put little eye hooks on the back and hang them with a ribbon - little flowers are very fun to paint.
So glad you have a job.
Merry Christmas.
Erin

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

What a beautiful jacket! You're so talented!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Phyllis, and lots of work!
Diane

Carrie P. said...

It is lovely and your mom is going to love it. I bet she will get a lot of compliments when she wears it.