Saturday, January 7, 2012

A Tribute to Tinkerbell

The weather was beautiful today and I worked outside all day for the first time in a couple of months.

My day started by burying my special hen, Tinkerbell. She was born here over six years ago and was the only black hen I had. Like several of my chickens, she was named after a Disney character by Alissa.

I noticed a couple of weeks ago that Tinkerbell wasn't roosting at night and chose to sleep on the barn floor. Some of the other hens do that from time to time, so I didn't think much of it at first. But then I noticed some other symptoms and brought her into the garage. She wouldn't eat or drink so I did a Google search and learned that it was probably bacterial in nature. I started administering antibiotics by a syringe orally but she continued to go downhill. I brought her into the bathroom Tuesday night since it was bitterly cold. She was warm and comfortable and lasted till about 7 p.m. Wednesday evening.



She was a friendly chicken
and always close by whenever I was working near the barn.


She got along with all the other chickens very well


I know she was "just" a chicken, but it's so sad to see a pet of any kind die. I prayed that she would go quickly but it was kind of long and drawn out. Because it's still dark when I get home from work, I couldn't bury her till this morning. I had already cried Wednesday so there were no tears this morning, although going through some pictures, it's hard not to cry looking at her.

RIP little black hen.

7 comments:

R K Young said...

Sorry for your loss--I hate losing any of my critters, too. We'll keep you in our thoughts!

A New England Life said...

I follow another blog that has chickens too and it's been very emotional for her every time she loses one, especially to a fox.

You did all you could, Phylliss. So sorry for your loss : (

Anonymous said...

No, Phyllis, she wasn't "just" a chicken. You have a kind heart and she was a smart little girl who fell in love with you too!
Hugs, Diane

Anonymous said...

I agree, not just a chicken. She was everything she brought to you, love, joy, friendliness, happiness, and above all else, a living creature of God's love. She was so blessed to have you.

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

There are some folks out there who would think she was just a chicken and that you shouldn't get emotional about the loss, but when you care for a living creature and then it dies, how can you not be affected? I rescued a chicken downstairs once -- took it to the shelter because kids were harming it and it was hopping around on one leg. I also had one coming around that I would put food out for. I worried about it because there's not a lot of respect for animals around here. And since I am vegetarian, I don't think of chickens as a food source. I think of them as pets. :) Sending hugs your way! Best wishes, Tammy

animal lover, quilt lover said...

Oh Phyllis, I am crying reading about your loss!!! I cry over a coon's death too!!! We LOVE the animals what more can I say!!! She was beautiful!!!
Thanks so much for your visit!! I was 18 days without a computer from 24th Dec to Jan the 10th. I missed the blogs so much!!
Can I call you?? If you have a land-line or free time on a cell phone I'll call you and we can talk.
xx, Zoie & Fern

goatgirl said...

I am so sorry Phyllis. I too love my chickens and feel bad when they die. There's a lot of personality in that little feathered body.
RIP Tinkerbell