Saturday, September 10, 2011

Animal Stuff and My Grandmother's Chair

Oi vay! The last few weeks have been busy with my new job and taking care of animal issues. The job is going well; I have a new executive to support and he is used to having his hand held big time so I'm really exhausted when I come home now.

I've been nursing a very sick rooster for the last two weeks. I'll spare you the gross details and just say that "Big Rooster" must be part cat. This is the third time he's almost died and recovered. He's still not 100% but after being in a pen in the garage for two weeks, I put him back with his flock today.

Little Fizz has been staying with some huge goats over at my neighbors for the last two weeks after being neutered. He was being bullied terribly and when I checked on him Wednesday evening, his incision was bleeding. I put some cornstarch on it (did you know that it stops bleeding immediately?) and left him crying to come home. As I looked back, I saw one of the big goats ram him right in his rear again.

I called the vet the next morning and asked if it was absolutely necessary to keep him separated from the girls for 45 days. While she said yes, she advised me to bring him home because he could be seriously injured by the large goats he was staying with. I'm happy to say that he came home Thursday evening and so far, I haven't seen him show any signs of being interested in the girls. Let's keep our fingers crossed that it stays this way.

I'm glad summer with its heat and drought are over; onward to taking care of some projects.

Remember the odd wooden chair I wrote about a couple ofmonths ago that used to belong to my granddmother? Well, I refinished it and had the cushions reupholstered. I got the cushions last week and I couldn't be happier with the way they turned out. I remember this chair from when I was very young and I have to say it looks great...and it's comfortable too.

The weather was really pretty today and I spent the day mowing, weeding and working on my walkway. This evening I put the binding on my autumn crow wall hanging that I started last year. I'll wash it tomorrow and put a pocket on the back to hang it by and take some pictures to share.

I'm off to bed now but wanted to get a post in before another day went by.

Happy blogging!


Anonymous said...

Phyllis, how did you get the goat back and forth? Somehow I'm picturing this in your car? ;-)
The rooster guy is gorgeous!
And so is the chair!
Hugs, Diane

Katherine Thomas said...

Bless you for taking care of that poor rooster! That is an act of pure love and kindness, I think. The chair looks great! They don't make furniture like they used to, with so much solidness and attention to detail. You've refurbished it beautifully!

T's Daily Treasures said...

Hey there! Glad to hear all is well, thought busy as usual. Your animals sure keep you on your toes. I do wonder how the roosters and hens manage to survive in this country when they are allowed to just roam free. Lord knows no one is taking care of them the way you do. That chair is great. Wonderful that you could update it to your liking and still hold the memories. Hope you are having a good weekend. Best wishes, Tammy

T's Daily Treasures said...

"though" not "thought"

animal lover, quilt lover said...

You are a true animal lover for sure!!
That chair is beautiful!!!
Thanks for your visit!!!
Tinker is a hand full. Smart and a devil both!!!
xx, Tinker & Fern