Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sewing Again and Pet Stories

Now that all the Christmas stuff is finally put away, I've been able to sit down at my sewing machine again.

Yesterday I couldn't go to work (again) because of an ice storm. It was just too dangerous for me to try to slip and slide my way across back roads for the few dollars I would have made (they didn't open till noon). So, I stayed in my jammies all day and organized my fabrics and made the biggest mess but had so much fun!

I put away all the patterns I was trying to work on and got my bird quilt out. I've joined Dawn's Sew It's Finished challenge and this item has high priority for me. I put it across my bed to see how much quilting needed to be done and you see what happened...Wendy...!


I finally got her off the bed and worked a few hours on my quilt. My goal is to have it completed by this Sunday. I wish I could have had this quilt professionally quilted. I wanted it to be so pretty, but I am making do with what I can do myself.

And speaking of the ice storm, unbeknownst to me, Big Rooster was tangled in some deer netting that had fallen in his pen and was trapped in the ice storm all night. It's dark when I get home from work and all the chickens are already in the barn by then. I usually do a quick head count but didn't Monday evening. I didn't discover him till about 8:30 a.m. yesterday and he was on the ground, unprotected and practially frozen. I ran to the garage and got my scissors and went back to cut the netting off his legs. I felt beyond horrible! If only he had clucked or something the night before when I was only a few feet away from him.

This poor rooster has been through more than any guy should have to deal with in his life! I put him in the barn with the heat lamp and left him there all day. I made him a bunch of scrambled eggs and made sure he had plenty of water to drink. He was limping but immediately started preening himself and I could see that under his wings was dry. If he had gotten soaked to the bones, he wouldn't have made it.

I made him some oatmeal this morning and shared it with the other chickens. They love cooked oatmeal! Big Rooster seems to be fine. I'm going to have to use chicken wire as their pen roof from now on.

I wanted to share a couple of cute pictures of Pumpkin. I noticed that she was sleeping in such an odd position. These are her BACK legs her head is laying between! So funny...and cute. She's an adorable lap kitty.





How cute is she?

11 comments:

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

I love your bird quilt. It's so pretty....

Poor Big Rooster!! I'm glad you were able to save him.

Anne said...

Hi Phyllis! First, thankyou for commenting on my post, I'm glad you enjoyed seeing the pics of our birds. Parakeets, like yours, are incredible little creatures! I'm so glad to hear that your rooster is ok. We had pet ducks, and had a few mishaps with them too, so i know how trying it is when they are injured. Best wishes to you and all your lovely animals for the new year!

Laura said...

Cute, cute, cute! I love seeing sleeping kitties. So glad Mr. Rooster is okay - that must have freaked you out when you found him.

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Seems like Wendy knows a good blnaket when she sees one!

I'm so glad your rooster is ok!

Now get back to that quilt!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Oh no, what must have been going through Mr. Rooster's head all that time. Poor guy! Who knew roosters and chicken like scrambled eggs and oatmeal. That's pretty funny. I just finished a big bowl of oatmeal with brown sugar, pecans, blueberries and milk. Yummo! Pumpkin looks she's in a yoga position. Don't try this at home. HA! HOpe the weather has cleared a bit today. Best wishes, Tammy

animal lover, quilt lover said...

So happy your rooster made it through. Bless his heart!!!
Your quilt is beautiful and will be even more beautiful when you finish it!
Pumpkin is something else!!!
Glad you didn't try to drive in the ice and snow!!
Glad you doing OK.....
xx, Fern

Anonymous said...

Phyllis, oh, how could you move Wendy from your quilt! LOL! Your pets are just the most adorable! Including Big Rooster. He must be a gentle guy to let you take care of him without trying to peck you.

Hugs, Diane

animal lover, quilt lover said...

Sweetie a cane doesn't help when you lose consciousness!! Tom says if it happened when he wasn't around I might die! I don't breathe.
Thanks tho I appreciate your help really I do!!
It is hell to be poor!!
xx, Fern

Unknown said...

I want to snuggle up in that quilt with that cat, in the sunshine... Great photos! How long have you been working on the quilt? My step-mother does quilting and it takes many months to complete one quilt. They are definite heirlooms. What do you do with your finished quilts?

Connie in Hartwood said...

Your kitties look just like my Dorothy and Alice!!! Are yours sisters?

Highland Monkey's said...

Your cat loves your quilt by the look of it, he's well cosy!